St. Mary Roman Catholic Church is a community of diverse and committed Christians, united by faith, pursuing spiritual growth and taking responsibility for the spiritual, social and educational needs of our parishioners as well as others. As a parish family we welcome and encourage authentic worship and devoted stewardship to joyfully celebrate and enrich our Faith.
History of St. Mary Parish
St. Mary Parish and the City of Walnut Creek have grown from a sleepy and small place to what is today a vibrant and bustling city. Our church had the distinction of having been a mission church of the Sacred Heart, Oakland; St. Catherine of Siena, Martinez; and St. Isidore, Danville.
Although Catholic presence in the area dates back to 1884, St. Mary was not established as a parish until Father Louis Miller was named the first pastor in 1941. When the Diocese of Oakland was created, St. Mary was the sole parish in the City of Walnut Creek. Father Joseph McLaughlin, who succeeded Father Miller as Pastor in 1948, witnessed the subdivision of parochial boundaries into three additional sister parishes.
Nevertheless, the downsized mother parish continued to grow. The pastorates of Father Daniel Cosgrove, Msgr. John T. McCracken, and Father John J. Mallon witnessed the dedication of St. Mary’s Community Hall followed by the remodeling of the priest’s rectory and religious education center. In November 2002, Bishop John Steven Cummins blessed the newly constructed addition to St. Mary School (1960) and the Kids Club / Teen Center.
It is important to note that the original name of our church, as consecrated for sacred use, and dedicated for service and worship of God by prayers, rites, and ceremonies is: St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Church. Under the guidance and direction of Father Paulson Mundanmani, current Pastor of St. Mary Church, the ministries and the spirit of St. Mary continue to blossom and grow. Thanks to a generous God and energetic parishioners, the past four decades have witnessed a flourishing of spiritual and social services in western Walnut Creek.